Monday, May 18, 2009

Let me tell you about these little beauties....

I had an order for 1 dozen mini cupcakes for a baby shower. I wanted to try something a little different than the vanilla/chocolate combo so I found this recipe over at Love and Olive Oil. Vanilla Almond Cupcakes with Fresh Blackberry Buttercream. Sounded light and summery and girly at the same time with the pink frosting piped on top. So pretty too. (I love the piping on the ones there!)
Batch #1. You can kind of already tell something went wrong with the numbers listed huh? I didn't even realize that the recipe was a vegan recipe until I started making them! My first vegan cupcake. This recipe uses coconut milk and almond flour too. Ok, so I started my first batch and the batter was oh so tasty. Poured some into each mini cupcake holder. (The batter was very thin) Popped them into the oven and took them out when the toothpick came out clean. After cooling I got this:

Major sinkage.

Batch #2. Made it again but this time left out the baking soda and reduced the baking powder to 3/4 tsp. These turned out better but still didn't puff up. Either the way, both batches tasted great. The sinkers were just a little more dense. Still tasted of vanilla, almonds...a hint of the coconut and the blackberry buttercream....oh yum.

I made little fondant flowers to put on top and big ones to scatter around the tower. Oh yeah, one extra large cupcake for the mom to be.

I think I still need to work on this recipe and I like that it was vegan (without the buttercream though that would be an easy enough fix). It's always nice to have diversity in your repertoire!

They were a hit at the baby shower and that's what matters!

Thanks for stopping by....

4 comments:

Elyse said...

Oh, well, sinking happens. The taste is what matters, and I can only imagine how good these cuppies taste. Especially with that buttercream. Delicious! And they look gorgeous, too!

Mermaid Sews said...

They look so cute, love the flowers. I have had a sinkage problem lately. Hmm.

Lindsay said...

Sorry to hear your cupcakes sunk! Heard from someone else who had the same thing happen. I might just have to bake these again tomorrow and make sure I didn't copy the recipe down wrong or something (and you know, because I really want an excuse to make them again). Glad you enjoyed them nonetheless!

Web Development said...

The frosting is really pretty.. Love the color in pink..