Monday, December 7, 2009

TWD: Sables

Update: Added some pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

I wanted to get this up on Tuesday so I'll add the photos tomorrow. No light today and I refuse to use flash :) We did get snow though!

Bungalow Barbara chose this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection. These tasty little cookies can be found on pages 131 - 133 of Dorie's book. The nice thing about these cookies is that they can be made sweet or, with a couple of omissions and additions, savory. I think I'm going to try those next.

The dough comes together quickly and once you roll it into logs and chill for a couple of hours in the fridge, it's good to go.

I doubled the recipe so that I could use the cookies for Christmas give aways. I also changed up the original recipe by using the playing around spice version. I added cinnamon, ginger and freshly grated nutmeg.

The dough chilled for 3 days in my fridge.

Once I brushed the logs with the beaten egg yolk, I sprinkled one with green sparkling sugar and the other with red and white. Sliced them up and baked them for 17 minutes exactly.


They turned on really nice. Crisp and buttery....spicy with a bit of crunch from the sparkling sugar. I'm afraid I could eat and eat and eat these and not realize what was happening until they were all gone. Perfect for teacher gifts.

Have a look over here to see what the others baked up.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Hindy said...

I had that problem yesterday with overeating these cookies. Then the family came home and problem solved.
Looking forward to your photos!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Thank you for baking along with me this week!

Some of mine will go as gifts too -- aren't they a great holiday cookie?

shelly said...

My MIL *loved* these, so I'm going to try to make them in heart shape rolls since she'll be visiting around Valentine's Day. They were a little rich for me though, and that usually is not a problem. I felt retarded because my rolls of dough didn't come out completely round, so I'm glad to see yours didn't either!