Thursday, July 30, 2009

TWD: Vanilla Ice Cream

MMMMMM....nothing beats home made vanilla ice cream. Pure, unadulterated vanilla ice cream. Dairy perfection.

Lynne from Cafe Lynnylu chose this weeks selection for TWD from the wonderful book:

Baking: From my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan.

Let me start out by saying...I'm not really much of a plain vanilla type of girl. Well I wasn't until I made this ice cream. Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love vanilla flavor and the smell...but as far as ice cream goes...I prefer to have a little something extra when I eat it. My favorite ice cream to order at the ice cream shop is Rocky Road. You have chocolate...something crunchy...something soft...a lot going on the Rocky Road. Even with store bought vanilla I would add something to my bowl. Most of the time it's mini chocolate chips...but never would I eat it undressed.

Well, that my friends, has changed.

There is no need to add anything to this ice cream. The flavor speaks for itself.

The only change I made was to use nonfat milk in place of whole milk, because that is what I had in the fridge.

I also used one of my pleasantly plump vanilla beans. I believe that is the most important step...the steeping of the bean with the milk/cream combo. Sooooo good.

Beat the yolks and sugar together until thick. (I used frozen egg yolks I found in the freezer.)

Cook the egg/sugar mixture together with the milk/cream/vanilla bean mixture until thick and then strain into a heat proof bowl. Only a few scrambled egg scraps! :)

Everything else went according to plan. Chilled the mixture in the fridge. Took the puppy to the vet for her 2nd set of shots. Came back and poured the mixture into the ice cream maker. 40 minutes later....perfection!

I did eat all 3 scoops!

Don't forget to stop here to check out the other bakers.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: