Monday, May 16, 2011

TWD: Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits

MY TURN, MY TURN, MYYYYYYY TURN!!!

Thank goodness I picked something that takes only 1 bowl, has only 8 ingredients, can be put together in 10 minutes and eaten 10 minutes after that. My choice rocks!

I am so happy to be part of a baking group that challenges me to bake things I might never otherwise make on my own. I love reading everyone's variations every week. Some stick to the recipe as written and more often than not...go way off the recipe and come up with modifications I would never think of. I read them and then of course, have to try them for myself. :)

So anyway, I chose these super easy Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits. I'm thinking chopped crisp bacon might be nice stirred into the dough. Ok, not really thinking...because I KNOW it would be great stirred into the dough. Or cheese...mmm, cheese.

These were served for breakfast this morning. I think I'll seve them tomorrow and Thursday as well...if they last that long. :)

Don't forget to check out what the other bakers' came up with here.

Go out and buy this awesome book....in the meantime, here's the recipe:

Dorie says:

This is not the most well-behaved biscuit you'll ever come across-all that sticky maple syrup and slip-through-your-fingers cornmeal produce a dough that's too moist to roll out and cut into neat little rounds. Here you scoop the sweet mixture onto a baking sheet, count the minutes in the oven and enjoy the surprise: a biscuit that's a cross between a featherlight cornbread and a flaky scone, a breakfast or tea sweet that's outrageously good with butter and jam or honey and just as good eaten plain. In fact, if you ust tasty, gritty, stone-ground cornmeal, the odds are good you'll want nothing to come between you and its sweet, full flavor.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground (I used regular ground cornmeal)
1 TBSP. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. baking soda

6 TBSP. cold, unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup cold whole milk (I used 1%)

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your finger, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Quickly, working with your fingertips (my favorite method) or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly. You'll have pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces the size of everything in between-and that's just right.


Stir the milk and maple syrup together and pour over the dry ingredients. Grab a fork and toss and gently turn until the ingredients are mostly combined and you've got a very soft dough. Don't worry if the dough doesn't look evenly mixed.

Use a tablespoon to scoop 12 mounds of dough onto the baking sheet.
Bake the biscuits for about 15 minutes, or until they are puffed and golden brown (these won't be straight or tall like traditional biscuite). Transfer them to a serving basket.

EAT!! (I added that part)

22 comments:

Cindy said...

Excellent choice, these were delish! But I can see adding cheese or bacon. Yes!

Nicole said...

Thanks for such a good pick! I really liked these. Yours look so good and I bet they are great with jam!

TeaLady said...

THIS was a perfect pick.. Easy! Tasty! good on a cool morning. Adding bacon - GREAT idea!!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Fabulous choice, Lindsey!

shelly said...

Congrats on it being your turn, Lindsay-how exciting! These look great!

natalia said...

Ciao Lindsay, I really loved these biscuits , as you said easy fast and delicious !! Thanks for hosting !

Jessica said...

I loved these biscuits! Thank you so much for hosting this awesome recipe this week!

Leslie said...

Great pick, Lindsay, though I wish mine looked as good as yours! Thanks for hosting this week!

Tia said...

love your pics :)

Mary said...

Thanks for a great pick--you made me like cornmeal again.
:)

Di said...

I love how easy these were. Now I just need to make them again to figure out why mine weren't as good as everyone else's. =)

Criollobylisa said...

Really Yummy with raspberry jam!!! So easy to pop in your mouth and lose count!!!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Loved this choice! Bacon and cheese stirred into the batter sounds fantastic! :)

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Gotta love the one-bowl TWD recipes! My pick was also one-bowl (Swedish Visiting Cake) Love your suggested variations. They were so good hot from the oven.

Jules Someone said...

Your choice totally rocked! This was excellent. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Your choice really did rock! OK, many other people beat me to that punch. :) Easy...delicious...and yes, I think bacon would be a fine addition!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

these would be great as cheesey corn biscuits! thanks for a tasty pick...we enjoyed them.

Kayte said...

I am woefully behind this week in blog commenting, so sorry it has taken me forever to get over here and thank you for the wonderful choice for TWD this week. We loved them! Yours look perfectly wonderful. Your Brown Sugar Bundt Cake looks fabulous as well...that pan makes sucha pretty looking cake. I need to go back and do that one, don'tcha think? Thanks again for hosting this week.

dorie said...

These may not be so well behaved, but you certainly managed to make them look beautiful in your picture. So, so happy you liked them!

CLsafari said...

These were truly simple and delicious, I think even better the second day. I am curious to switch up and use whole wheat flour and add some blueberries for the next batch. Thanks again!

Carroll

Lynne Daley said...

I loved these! The cornmeal and maple syrup are lovely together. Thanks!

Mrsblocko said...

I made these and wrote about them here. I can't believe how easy these were! I love that there was no rolling involved. Thank you for posting the recipe on your blog.