Wednesday, January 21, 2009

TWD: Berry Surprise Cake


Well...here I am...a day late and more than a dollar short. We have Mary Ann from Meet Me in the Kitchen for this week's TWD choice. My Berry Surprise Cake almost wasn't a cake at all. I was going to do the playing around alternative with the berries, filling and whipped cream topping...but after reading about the cake on the TWD site, I decided to go ahead and try it. And to tell you the truth, I LOVE TO EAT CAKE!

The cake part was fairly easy but did involve a lot of steps. I was very very careful not to over mix the batter but also wanted to get all of the flour incorporated. I think I did OK. I didn't have an 8" springform pan so I used the 9". My cake did sink a little in the middle but nothing catastrophic. The layer was however a little on the thin side so instead of the hole out of the middle, I sliced the cake into two layers and went from there. I didn't have any Chambord for the syrup so I used Cream de Cassis instead. After slicing the cake into two layers, I brushed on the sugar syrup...unsure when to stop as Dorie said there would be extra but didn't day how much extra. I just guessed. I threw an extra tablespoon of sugar into the filling based on the suggestions from other bakers..I thought some lemon zest might be nice as well....maybe next time.


I did like the fact that I didn't have to wash the mixing bowl after every use...just keep adding ingredients to the dirty bowl and move on! I did actually have blackberries for the filling and top of the cake...but when I went to add them to the filling...my kids had eaten the entire basket! Good thing I had the blueberries...or it would have just been a Surprise Cake!


I did actually make this cake yesterday (Tuesday) but by the time I was finished...the light was gone, I couldn't get a photograph and I had to go to karate with the oldest kid. We will have this for dessert tonight. I will let you know what I think tomorrow.

Don't forget to check out what the other bakers here accomplished here.

Jeez...I need me a cake plate!!

4 comments:

chocolatechic said...

OH...yours looks so pretty.

Mine flopped big time, and I ended up making a parfait.

Jacque said...

Wow, looks like you didn't have problems at all. It's perfect!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Yours looks great! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

You made a beautiful cake...how I imagined the cake was supposed to look (but mine didn't). Nice job!