Monday, March 14, 2011

TWD: Citrus Cranberry Sunshine Muffins

So...this is what happens when I make a half batch of something:

And...this is what happens when I make the full batch of something:

Guess what I did this week....yep. Exactly....the half.

Northern California needs a little sunshine right now...we've got plenty of citrus, that's super plentiful...it's the sunshine we're lacking. These little muffins taste like sunshine. :)

They're bright and cheerful and light with just the right amount of sweet.

I'll tell you what I did. First off, halved the recipe (never again), used dried cranberries instead of currants. I didn't have any lemon extract so I just left it out. Oh yeah, the one thing I didn't cut in half was the lemon zest. I just threw it all in with the sugar. I'm really glad I did...you can definitely taste the sunshine...um, I mean lemon.

You can even see the lemon zest in there!

And..to healthy them up a bit :) I used half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. This kind that I get from Trader Joe's.

My kids came home from school and each had 2. 6-4=2. 2 left for me to eat....or save for the boys...or eat...or save. I can't decide. Maybe I'll just go make another FULL batch. We'll see.

Thanks to Lauryn over at Bella Baker for this week's choice. Certainly a hit at my house.

Stop by the TWD site to see what great combinations of dried fruit/nuts/chocolate the other bakers thought to put in their muffins.

Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Love the crown you got on yours - beautiful! :)

Cindy said...

Thought about making half a batch--glad I didn't. This was one yummy muffin.

Tia said...

mmmm lemon cranberry! looking good!
Buttercreambarbie

Jessica said...

I could taste the sunshine too! Hahaha. Your muffins look great...you should def make another batch!

Peggy said...

I usually make a half batch for just the two of us, but I made a whole batch of these and we ate them pretty quickly. Love the lemon cranberry idea!

Nicole said...

I have to be very careful to photograph my baking before it gets eaten. We need some sunshine here in the Seattle area, too!

Jules Someone said...

Just lovely! I subbed in some www flour and you couldn't even tell. Yum!

Flourchild said...

Eastern Idaho needs some sunshine too!! Your muffins look great!!